Monday, May 19, 2008

Hey, where is everybody?

My travel agent got me this super-low airfare to Chicago for the NRA convention.
I was staying across the street from Chicago's famous Grant Park, in the same hotel as the convention HQ, looked like.

The next morning, Grant Park looked amazing. What a skyline!

I hit the street to try to locate the convention. When I passed Cartridge World, I knew I must be close.

Around the corner was an amazing multicolored brick wall:

Signed by the artist, too!

But then, lo and behold, I encountered some art students demonstrating for peace:

They had some weird costumes:

There were girls in big dresses:

And robots, too:

Finally I found two women who looked like they might know about guns:

Seems that there had been some kind of misunderstanding. Seems that this NRA is the National Restaurant Association. Well, after a spirited chase that ended in Lake Michigan, we parted as friends. Anyway, who could have guessed that those Kevlar vests are buoyant? I didn't know!

I did get to see American Gothic and Nighthawks at the Chicago Art Institute. American Gothic is painted on beaverboard, so it reflects light differently as you walk around it. Nighthawks is big and amazing.

Well, sadly I missed the convention. Still, the fare was a bargain.

No comments: