Friday, May 21, 2010

D.C. Voting Rights Bill

On Wednesday, the Washington Post published an editorial opposing the efforts of Senators McCain and Tester to add a rider to the D.C. voting rights bill (a perennial effort to violate the Constitution) that would restore Second Amendment rights in the District of Columbia.

Here are some great posted comments:

I am more or less neutral on the gun issue. I neither support the total gun control advocated by some, nor the total license advocated by others such as the NRA.

But I do have to ask precisely what D.C. thinks it has accomplished with its gun laws? I've lived in this area for over 30 years, and one only has to watch the nightly news to know that every two-bit street hood can apparently obtain any kind of gun and all the ammunition he wants, the law notwithstanding. In fact, it should technically only be considered "news" on those days that no one is shot in D.C.

I don't really see where much would change if D.C. gun laws were struck down entirely.

...and:

Please. You'd oppose the repeal of DC's unconstitutional gun laws even if there were dinosaurs marching down Rhode Island Avenue chomping citizens as they went.

What gun for Rhode Island Avenue dinosaurs?

1 comment:

Drang said...

I believe L. Sprague DeCamp recommended something in a .577, but I could be wrong, it's been a long time.