Thursday, July 30, 2009

Reverend Ike Dies

He preached prosperity.

I sent away for one of his get-rich-quick kits. It consisted of two little tissue-paper hearts. One said, "Think" and the other said, "Money". And the directions read, "Put these in your shoes, like I told you!"
“Close your eyes and see green,” Reverend Ike would tell his 5,000 parishioners from a red-carpeted stage at the former Loew’s film palace on 175th Street in Washington Heights, the headquarters of his United Church Science of Living Institute. “Money up to your armpits, a roomful of money and there you are, just tossing around in it like a swimming pool.”
“If it’s that difficult for a rich man to get into heaven,” he would often say, citing Matthew, “think how terrible it must be for a poor man to get in. He doesn’t even have a bribe for the gatekeeper.”


3 comments:

Old NFO said...

I'm remiss, I've never heard of him... :-)

Isaac Coverstone said...

Can't say I've heard of him, either. Can't say I'm sorry. Sounds like nothing more than a modern soothsayer.

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;"

II Timothy 4:3

mts1 said...

I think he was the one who said, when he threw the collection money into the air, "Whatever stays up is the Lord's; whatever falls to the Earth is mine."