Monday, August 10, 2009

Solar Blackberry

In anticipation of a wilderness camping trip, I wanted to see if I could power (or, more accurately, charge the battery of) my Blackberry with a solar panel. This is a 40-watt "backpacker's" solar panel that puts out 12 volts. The little plastic box is a charge controller for charging large batteries, like motorcycle batteries. I have it wired so that I can access either the controlled output or the raw output of the solar cells. In this photo I'm using the raw output.

This close-up of the Blackberry shows the charging icon (upper edge of the screen). It's a little yellow rectangle, and there is a little plug coming out of it that indicates it is charging.

Excellent kit for TEOTWAWKI, but who would I call?

2 comments:

Drang said...

FIELD DAY!!!

Turk Turon said...

Yeah, one of these years I won't have to work weekends, and I'll actually participate in Field Day.