Sunday, January 20, 2013

Prepping

Getting ready for The Big Day.


Blocking off the sidewalks to pedestrian traffic.

Streets, too.

All the metal trashcans on Pennsylvania Avenue were picked up last night and replaced with these clear plastic bags.

The National Archives building gleamed in the morning sun.

A lovely old building, the Fireman's Insurance Building. Nowadays, of course, it is a Starbucks.

Huge loudspeaker arrays have been hoisted onto poles along the route. These are in front of the Newseum.

On my walk home I passed a very cool bicycle shop and saw this authentic pennyfarthing in the window. I was informed that they go for $4000 - $6000 depending on condition. (Bomb not included.)




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What bike shop is that? I live in NoVA and that shop looks interesting.

Chris

Turk Turon said...

Chris:
The bike shop is in Arlington, about six blocks from the Clarendon Metro.

Roberta X said...

So, the bomb-in-window, NOT on the parade route? 'Cos I can see that being an Issue.

LOVE that window display and I wish they weren't right about the price of the real-deal highwheelers. But they are.

Anonymous said...

Roberta, you might find this interesting:
http://www.arlnow.com/2011/08/10/meet-arlingtons-penny-farthing-commuter/

Turk, thanks for the info. I think that shop is called, appropriately, The Old Bike Shop

Chris